Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Not My Style But...

...gorgeous nonetheless! I made these cushions as a belated Christmas present for my friend Brenda today.
Brenda and I are great friends, but we have completely opposite tastes in fabric! I love bright and modern while she loves muted and prim. She goes all out in decorating her house to fit her style and it is primlicious!
She has little quilts on every surface of her walls and even cupboards. And not only does she put them on the outside of the cupboards, but look what I saw on the inside of a cupboard door...
Isn't that the coolest thing ever?! And even cooler is that one of them is the letter 'B' quilt I made her for her birthday a couple of years ago!
Last Fall I went to a clearance sale at a local quilt shop and they had ready made blocks for sale for amazing prices. As in $1 for a block. Only problem was they just weren't my style. But they were definitely Brenda's! So I bought a bunch of them knowing I could use them to make things for Brenda. Today I finally got around to doing just that.

One of the things I bought was a set of 5 pieced leaf blocks joined together. I just separated them and used 4 for one pillow, and the 5th for another. A simple border and some nice quilting was all they needed. Brenda had invited the kids and I over today for a 'Pizza Party' so it was the perfect time to take the pillows. Her son had chosen a movie for the kids and we had a great time eating pizza, watching the movie, playing video games (ok that was the kids!) and Brenda and I chatted and sewed. Perfect! Thanks for the great party Brenda and GP!

5 comments:

Sheila said...

The quilting on your cushions really shows up well, they are lovely. Your freind's house looks like something from the pages of a Thimbleberries book, gorgeous!

Brenda said...

I love that little disclaimer in the tittle, hahahaha. Yes, they are my style and as you well know, they look just perfectly at home in my little love nest. Thank you for your wonderful gift. As always, it will be tresured not only for the beautiful workmanship but for the love and thought that was put into making it. I love them. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness. B=)

Julie said...

Lovely pillows!

Shelley said...

Great pillows for a friend. I'm going to take the idea of getting rid of orphan blocks to the LQS where I work. Who doesn't have a bunch of those lying around feeling too guilty to throw them out?? Good score for you!

Cathie in UT said...

Every once in a while it's good to work outside your usual style, or so I try to tell myself. LOL
Lovely pillows and lucky friend