Thursday, April 21, 2011

Pillow Surprise

I have the best friends in the world. Really! Yesterday my friend Shannon (who has just moved an hour away...boo hoo for me) turned up at my house with a present she made for me - two quilted pillows! They were tied up so beautifully, and just the presentation of them made me feel special and loved.


Look - she even made the most adorable little felt flower to tie them up with...


Shannon made them out of extra quilt blocks she had. She wasn't in love with them but knew I would be. She was right! And especially impressive was that she added needleturn appliqued flowers. This was extra meaningful to me because she said she added them because I taught her how to needleturn. Be still my heart!



It gives me so much joy to see someone make beautiful things using skills I've helped them learn. And then to benefit from them myself is amazing! Nobody ever makes me things because they probably figure if there's anything I want I can make it myself, or they're afraid that it wouldn't be good enough. In fact, the opposite is true. I'm sure all of you who craft/sew/quilt appreciate hand made things more than anyone because you know and appreciate the time and love put into them by the maker!


So thank you Shannon - you KNOW I love them :)

Shannon also has posted about the making of them, so you can go read about that here.

BTW - for those of you who asked where I got yesterday's bag, it is from Joann's Fabrics - $1.99! If you change your email preferences then I can email you directly :)

8 comments:

PixieRoseDresses said...

fab!!

Carolyn said...

Those pillows are so pretty. How thoughtful your friend is. I agree. I quilt and craft but when one of my Bee Sisters give me something hand made I treasure it.
It means so much if it is hand made. Thanks so much for sharing.
Carolyn

MB in MI said...

so nice!!

Melanie said...

Those pillows are absolutely adorable!!

Brenda said...

It's Karma! Yes, the good kind. You made such gorgeous pillows for me that it had to be that someone (obviously more talented than I will ever be) made some for you.
I love , love,love mine and you know I will treasure them forever and now you have a special treasure of your own. I am so happy for you. Enjoy them, they are almost as lovely as you are. =)

SO I'M Anna Fogg, an eclectic kinda gal said...

Joanna, this is true, the quilt you made me brings joy to my life constantly. I have studied it 100 times, no more. The colors you juxtaposed, how similarly you and I are with our choices of patterns and fabric. I will need to make you something soon. ~a

wishes, true and kind said...

Oh, my gosh! Prettiest pillows and packaging ever! What a sweet friend!

Sheila said...

I agree - it's lovely to receive hand made gifts.