Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tasty Thursday

It's been a while since I did a Tasty Tuesday and even though it's Thursday, the alliteration still works, so here we go!

When we were vacationing in Utah we went to a friend's home for dinner one night and she had made the most delicious concoction for dessert - Jam Bars. They are so simple to make, but sooooo delicious!


I've made them twice since I came home. The first time was a failure. I think I added too much flour, so it was stodgy and just not good, so I adjusted it a little and the second batch was absolutely perfect! So here we go...

This recipe is doubled and makes a large oven tray full. Perfect for a crowd!

Mix together:

1/2 tsp salt
3 sticks butter- very soft (hey, this recipe is doubled - now just pretend I'm Paula Deen and you'll feel better about the butter!)
2.5 cups flour
3 cups oats
2 cups brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
Small jar of seedless jam - not preserves, no chunks. Grape jelly does NOT work, turns really runny. (I used Smuckers Black Raspberry seedless jam and it was perfect!)

Mix very well and divide into 2/3 and 1/3.

Press 2/3 into pan.
Melt small jar of jam (zap in microwave for 30 seconds) and spread evenly over crust.
Sprinkle with remaining crumbs.
Bake at 350 for about 25 min. When cool, dribble glaze or icing over top and stand back before the crowd creates a mob.

Glaze:
1.5 cups powdered sugar
2 TBL soft butter
1 Tsp vanilla
water to make runny

Mix all together and dribble over bars.

After eating our fill and giving some away, here's what's left of our large tray...
If anyone wants some, come get it!

1 comment:

Deb said...

Hi Joanna!! The recipe looks so yummy! My office is having a food day next Friday, I think I will try these. Looks like it makes enough for me to take to work and leave a few for my sons!!

Deb