Friday, November 11, 2011

Thrifted Goodies

It's Veteran's Day here in the US and every holiday, a large chain thrift store, Savers, has clothes and bedding items 50% off. I dragged the kids along and we went shopping! I thought I'd show you some of the goodies we picked up...

The bargain of the day was this piece of 100% wool fabric...

It's 2.5 yards long and at an original price of $2.99 was already a bargain. Take 50% off that and it was only $1.50! When you realize that this stuff sells for $30-$50 per yard new, you see why I nearly hyperventilated when I saw it! It's just perfect for doing wool applique on. And because there is so much, I could make entire pillows with it. I can just imagine snuggling up on the couch with one watching the snow fall outside!

Next are some items I got for my girl Sofia. It's her birthday in a couple of weeks and she's getting a complete room makeover! It's going from the current little girl pink to a more grown up teal blue. This gorgeous pillow was $3...
and this quilted pillowcase sham was $1...
These pillowcase shams were also $1 each, but I think I might just keep them for my room!
The sale's on 'till 9pm so get down there and snag some of your own bargains!

I do have a Veteran's Day story to tell. After Savers, I took the kids to Taco Bell for lunch. As we went to sit down I saw a little old man, must have been at least 80 years old, sitting in a booth. He was dressed in full uniform, a very old one, complete with medals and a hat. I stopped and asked if I could shake his hand and thanked him for all he had done. With tears in his eyes he looked at me and said, "No, thank YOU for stopping and remembering". I was so touched - here he was, a hero, worthy of praise, and he was the one doing the thanking. I hope he hadn't sat their unnoticed for long, and I hope I'm not the only one thanking him today. Made my day - oh the tales I bet he could tell.

3 comments:

Heather said...

What a sweet story. Thanks for the reminder that just taking the few minutes to appreciate someone can make not only their day but our own!

Deb said...

Lovely story. I'm so glad you went up and talked to him...some might have thought about it, but most wouldn't have followed through. Thank you for reminding me how even small actions can have an impact others.

StitchingKat said...

Bless you for stopping! Something definitely is wrong in this world when our vets, especially one that has seen so much in his life, feels he has to thank you. Both you and he are honored today!